Law Office

If you were injured in a car accident, you are probably considering seeking medical treatment.  Typically, going to an Urgent Care or Hospital is the best choice immediately following an accident if you are in pain or believe you may have an injury.  Your emergency doctor may then refer you to chiropractic care, orthopedic care, pain management or a number of other specialists.  Injuries require treatment.  But, treatment can be costly! Do not worry.

Florida requires Personal Injury Protection Insurance, or PIP, which is a no-fault type insurance aimed at providing coverage and payment for medical treatment immediately following an accident.  Florida Statute Section 627.736 provides for up to $10,000.00 in coverage for medical expenses, mileage repayment, and lost wages.  However, there are very specific deadlines under Florida’s PIP laws.  These deadlines requires claimants to see specific medical doctors within 14 days of the accident.  Failure to see the correct doctor and obtain an Emergent Medical Condition clearance could limit your PIP coverage to $2,500.00.  Since PIP is no-fault, it does not matter if the accident was your fault and your insurance will pay for the first $2,500.00-$10,000.00 in medical treatment.

There is no reason to avoid medical treatment after an accident because you are afraid of medical bills.  While medical treatment is expensive, Florida law requires insurance which pays for part of your treatment if you are injured in an accident.  It is often better to err on the side of caution and always seek medical treatment immediately after an accident.  Not seeking medical treatment immediately after an accident gives the insurance company an easy out:  That the injuries are not related to the accident.  Do not give the insurance company an easy out.

Typically, after an accident, you must contact your own insurance company immediately to make a claim.  If you wait too long, you may not receive coverage.  It is important to review your policy to make sure you comply with claim requirements under your specific policy.  You are not required to give a recorded statement at that time.  Just let them know you are injured, the accident was not your fault, and that you need a claim number.  This claim number is used by the medical doctors to bill your PIP insurance when you receive treatment.  If you receive a notice from a bill collector, or late notice from a medical provider, forward it to your PIP insurance.  Finally, be aware that your statements with your claim adjuster may be used against you in the future.

If you are injured in an accident and have questions regarding medical treatment and expenses, then it is important to speak with an experienced and licensed lawyer.  Justin Linn of LINN LAW, PA can answer your questions and ease your worries about expensive medical treatment.  Check out LINN LAW online here.